9.10.2012

Rice Pudding


Last week I had a dream that Paragon Family Restaurant in Hobart was closed down and it was just about the biggest tragedy that could ever happen to me, and I was about ready to throw myself into traffic and declare the rest of my life not worth living.

In reality, if Paragon closed I would be sad because of the memories it conjures (post-church brunch with Grandpa Detterline, late night coffee with friends, and one rather awkward Christmas Eve), but all-in-all I wouldn't care too much as the restaurant has had little bearing on my life since I moved to Illinois and became a vegan. And looking back I think the food was perhaps a little subpar, bland, and greasy and nothing I would enjoy as an adult anyway.

But as a kid I ate at Paragon a lot. Like, a lot a lot. Being a child of habit I mostly just had a cheeseburger deluxe but there were certain special items I would order on occasion in order to give myself little nuggets of happiness, like strawberry waffles topped with whipped cream, or a julienne salad that came in a dish the size of a punch bowl. I never did partake in the infamous francheezie, and I will always remember the barfalicious smell of flaming cheese. But there was one little dish that came free as a dessert that I was perhaps most fond of for its simplicity and unassuming nature. Yes, I felt a kinship to the rice pudding, for it was quiet and sweet, and gooey and chubby, and it waited around patiently for someone to remember it was there.

Well, rice pudding, my old friend, I remember you, and the modest joy you gave me on many a Indiana night, and although we've been separated for quite some time, I've decided it was about time to rekindle our old flame and reminisce about the good ole days we shared back on Route 6. Of course, now you are dairy-free, and I'd rather eat you for breakfast then after a pile of salty french fries, but to me you are the same as you have always been: modest, trustworthy, and delicious.

Rice Pudding

Ingredients:

Rice
3 cups rice milk
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbs. maple syrup
1 cup rice

Cream
2 cups of cashews (soaked in water at least four hours)
1 banana
3/4 cup rice milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tbs. maple syrup

Directions:

Rice
1. Combine rice milk, cinnamon, and maple syrup in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Add rice, lower heat, cover, and simmer for about an hour, until all the liquid is absorbed.
3. Chill rice in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

Cream
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
2. When rice has cooled, mix it with the cream.
3. Serve chilled topped with cinnamon for breakfast or dessert.
4. Let peace wash over you.




No comments:

Post a Comment